Re: [Harp-L] New Harp Club in Frederick, MD

Bryan,

We started a blues diatonic group in St. Louis last November.  Even though St. Louis has a large harmonica organization, The Gateway Harmonica Club, (SPAH chapter) it is mostly a chromatic organization, but they do devote an hour a week to blues diatonic.  There were a couple of us that had gotton to know each other thru another Yahoo group, Harptalk, who were looking for a different format, and decided to get a group together on a monthly basis.

We wanted a format where we could all continue to grow in our quest to master the blues harmonica.  Someplace where we could share information, trade/steal licks, and jam on some 12 bar solos (mostly to backing tracks).  We started out with about 5...the roster has grown to about 10....mostly word of mouth, but we threw it out there on Harptalk and Harpplayers to get the group going.  We usually have the core group of 5-6 each month, but there have been a couple of months when we had a large group.  The group has all levels from guys/girls that have been playing only a year to two years, others for 10 years or more.  We have people who are instructors and a couple play in bands around town...so a pretty diverse group.  The group is very supportive and forgiving...every one checks their ego at the door.  We meet the first Wednesday of every month from 7-10 at my house in the finished part of my basement. We have had one guest appearance and keep bouncing around the idea of inviting
a couple of the better known harmonica players in town for a group lesson...but just haven't gotton it done.  Once in awhile we have a guitar player that will show up and we jam with him vs tracks.

Over the past year, the group has certainly evolved and formed solid freindships.  We all swear it keeps us focused on our craft and I believe everyone will tell you it has made us all better harmonica players.  We have even gotten to the point where a few of us are hitting a local blues open mic jam once a month to play with a band....and man what an experience this is...once you do it...it's in your blood.

We have also started our own Yahoo group site where we communicate.  We have documents/tabs/various instructional materials along with mp3 files for practicing, photos, etc.  If you would like to browse it, please feel free to email me offline and I will share the link with you.

I wish you the best in starting up the group...it has certainly had a positive influence on my harp playing (2.5 yrs) and I do not come from a musical backgroud at all, but just now  starting to think of myself as a musician.  I was fortunate enough to attend the Augusta Heritage Festival in Elkins, WVA in July and studied under Annie Raines, Terry "Harmonica" Bean, and got some pointers from Phil Wiggins. Please feel free to email me anytime with any questions you may have...maybe our paths will cross someday.

Jeff
St. Louis

-------------- Original message from blyburn@xxxxxxxxxxx: --------------