Re: [Harp-L] Re: Soundman

Richard Hunter wrote:
I talk to the soundman at every gig if I have the chance to do so.

I search out the sound guy while everyone else is setting up their gear, introduce myself and treat the guy like the most important cat in the room. We talk about my style of playing, how I vary my distance from the mic to affect the volume from section to section, ask if that's okay, and very politely ask if he'll see to it that I'm cutting through. People work less with harp players than they do with the other players, so you have to give them a sense that you're a person and a thoughtful musician. Many sound guys will go that way anyway, but some won't, so you have to make sure they know that putting it across is a key issue for you, and that you

I am not good at remembering names on first hearing them, but I have a rule about remembering the name of the sound guy. I introduce him to the other cats when that makes sense, so suddenly I'm an inch closer to this guy than everyone else.

I believe that the harp player has the least control of anyone in the band, sound-wise, once the band begins to play, so I'm careful to collect allies where I can.