Re: [Harp-L] Blues scale vs. Pentatonic scale

First of all, thanks for your help in Denver!  I had a great time and learned years worth of material in days.

  Second of all, a question.

  I've used two forms of what I incorectly label as major and minor blues scales based upon the major and minor pentatonic scales.

  Major Pentatonic in C

  C D E D A C

  Minor Pentatonic

  C Eb F G Bb C   (just to stick with flats)

  Major Blues in C

  C D Eb  E D A C

  Minor Blues

  C Eb F Gb G Bb C   (just to stick with flats)

  I've asked similar questions on this list before.  I'm interested in your opinion on a naming scheme for these scales.   I invented these two names for myself--just to have a place to put them in my brain.

  Thanks,
  Will

George Brooks <gbrooksvt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > A Minor pentatonic:
>
> A C D E G

Yes.

> A Minor blues scale:
>
> A C D Db E G A

Not exactly. While there is both a major pentatonic scale and a minor
pentatonic scale, the blues scale is always a minor scale (flat 3rd
degree and flat 7th degree), so there is no such thing, strictly
speaking, as the "minor blues scale." It is simply the blues scale.
The blues scale starting on A is spelled:

A C D D# E G

or, alternatively:

A C D Eb E G

The blues scale starting on C is spelled:

C Eb F F# G Bb

I hope this helps.

GB