Re: [Harp-L] How much do you need to hear yourself while gigging?

Hey, Chris.

I think that the diatonic harmonica is difficult enough to play when you can hear it. After all, you are doing bends, and getting out a note that is in tune is highly dependent on your ability to hear and correct. This was becoming a serious problem for me, at least when I played blues or rock. I even threatened to bring my Bassman to small venues so I could hope to hold my own, but I found other ways.

First, I insisted that my little Champ be close-miked and set at a substantial level in the PA. Second, the maker of my microphone, which is a Harmonica Honker, retrofit my mike with a personal monitor. Between the two, I can now clearly hear myself and as a result, I am attempting more complex and interesting riffs.

On the Jazz side, I don't have the problem because groups tend to play less loudly and have better dynamics. I can even keep my hearing aids in...

-Larry Marks