[Harp-L] Re: tuning

I am playing harp with a guitar player who decided to capo the first fret and then play in C, which  means I need an F sharp harp if I want second position. I ordered a Huang, figuring a cheap harp for the 2or 3 songs he sings this way. Well, I got a low F sharp Huang and it sucked. I mean, low harps take enough wind as it is, then add a leaky one and it was barely playable. I spent some time gapping and embossing and it was still only nominally useable. So I got to thinking.. I found an old Big River F harp that I hadn't played in years and spent Friday afternoon retuning all the reeds to make it an F sharp.  Played at a party Friday night and it worked pretty good. I'm still going to order a high F sharp Special 20, though, just so I have choices.   I have in the past retuned 3 blow on a C harp so no bend was needed for the A note. I think I will experiment a little more with some tunings for fiddle tunes.
Steve Webb
a fool for the harp in Minnesota