[Harp-L] Help with rattling sound on 8 draw

In a message dated 10/26/2007 2:32:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Ori  writes:

Yesterday I started hearing a metallic rattling of the reed when  drawing
from hole 8. .........Is it possible that something is wrong with my  embouchure,
or is it a problem with the reed that I can  fix?

-Ori,
As Jon stated, it's most likely a reed hitting the wall of the  reedslot.
Being new at it, u may not have a harp tool like the brass  thingy that comes
with a Lee Oskar tool kit, for example.  It has a bend  or hook at a right angle
to the shaft and u can use it to gently smooth out  the wall of the reedslot.
 Try some other small tool to accomplish the  task.  For this task, it
doesn't need to be brass.
  It is not impossible that if u dropped your harp, a hard  landing could
have caused a misalignment of a reed.  Use Jon's  suggestion to inspect the
tolerances around the reed.  U can fix it  yourself.  Sometimes just some repeated
plinking may even take care of  it.  A feeler gauge is a good plinking tool.
Good luck.
ron - Key West