[Harp-L] two questions from a newbie

In a message dated 10/23/2007 6:15:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, sam  writes:
I had a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering them.  If I
was going to play fiddle tunes or bluegrass/folk oriented material, would I  be
playing in cross harp or ___________ (whatever the other term is - playing a
C harp for a song in the key of C)? Is that just a question of  preference?

Also, I am interested in eventually getting one of the xb40  harps and was
wondering what kind of rack would fit one.

Sam, I play  guitar and harmonica.  I find a country tuned harp played in 2nd
position  (sometimes called cross harp) to be a good choice for playing
fiddle tunes.  It provides the major 7 (as opposed to the  flat 7th on a standard
harp) as a draw note.  Otherwise you would need  to overblow on hole 5 to get
that note.  SP20's can be ordered in  CT.
  Re positions, on a C harp, you would be playing in key of  G.  If u want to
play 2nd position in key of C, use an F harp.
Re  the rack, the harp rack suggested by Madcat Ruth a few years ago on
Harp-L, the  K&M rack, is the best rack I've ever seen and costs $25.  It will work
 with the XB40 harp.  For a info and pics, etc, go here:
http://bushmanmusic.com/productdetail/~Model/12NR~/d.html
  One of our esteemed fellow Harp-L'ers, Vern, manufactures what is  probably
the ultimate rack, but it does cost a lot more.
Keep on harpin',
ron - FL Keys