[Harp-L] re:Dylan

  Larry wrote:
  >I have a hard time duplicating
Dylan. My muscle memory has been programmed to create a fuller sound on
 the harmonica, as my creativity lies there and not in creating word
 pictures.
Another problem is that when I try to sound like Dylan, a personal residue of
attitude creeps into my attempt as I don't "love" this style.
 --------
  Well, "bad" playing can be a bit harder than it would seem. I find it considerably easier to sound like Dylan when I´ve imbibed really serious quantities of alcohol; this does things to you -- of course not only to your muscle memory, but regular memory as well (however I´ve recorded myself in such a situation to verify) -- and can give a Dylan touch even to an inspired and fairly competent player.
    That Dylan´s harp playing leaves something to be desired maybe even to his own ears could perhaps be surmised from the fact that he let Charlie McCoy play the (unchallenging) riff on, is it "Obviously five believers"? on "Blonde on blonde".
    At that point Dyland had been playing harp for at least eight years, I think.

  /Martin