Re: [Harp-L] two questions from a newbie

Fiddle tunes can be played in various key positions on a harmonica
depending on the scale and chords of the tune.

Playing a C harp in C gives you a C major scale. But not all fiddle
tunes use the major scale. They often use what are called modal scales.
A modal scale uses the scale of one key to play in another key that is
part of that scale.

For instance, the C major scale is:

C D E F G A B C

If you played in the key of G, but used the notes of a C major scale,
that would be using the fifth mode (C-D-E-F-G = 1-2-3-4-5). These modes
have names derived from ancient Greek.

Modal playing is used a lot on harmonica and is very useful for fiddle
tunes.

C is not that common as a key for fiddle tunes; they tend to be in A,
D, and G, and a few other keys. Let's say you have a tune that is in A.
Maybe it uses the major scale, but maybe it uses something else.

A Major: A B C# D E F# G# A

Let's say our tune uses a scale where the 7th note is minor (one
semitone lower than it would be in A major).

A Mixolydian: A B C# D E F# G A

See the difference? We have G instead of G#. Mixolydian refers to the
fifth mode of a major scale. Which scale does it belong to. Call A 5
and count down 5-4-3-2-1 = A-G-F-E-D.

Here is the D major scale:

D Major: D E F# G A B C# D

If you compare it to the A Mixolydian scale, you'll see that it
contains the same notes as A Mixolydian, it just starts in a different
place.

So, would a D harp be the right harp to play a tune in A Mixolydian?
Yes. It has the right scale, and it also has a nice big A major chord
in Draw 1-4.

What about other modal scales in common use? There is a mode that
starts on each note of the major scale. The major scale (also called
the Ionian mode) starts on the first degree of the major scale, while
the Mixolydian starts on the fifth degree.

The two next most often used in fiddle tunes are Dorian and Aeolian
(also called natural minor).

Dorian starts on the second degree of the scale, while Aeolian starts
on the sixth.

Let's say we have a tune in A Dorian. A is the second degree in the G
major scale, and you could use a G harmonica. Draw 4-5-6 on a G harp
give us a nice A minor chord, so again we have a home chord.

A tune in A Aeolian would use the sixth mode of a major scale. A is the
sixth degree of C major, so you could use a C harp. No home chord
though.

So that C harp you're using now could be used to play in:

First position: C major.
Home chord is the blow chord, home notes are Blow 1, 4, 7, and 10

Second position: G Mixolydian
Home chord is Draw 1-4, home notes are Draw2, Blow 6, Blow 9

Third position: D Dorian
Home chord is Draw 4-6 and Draw 8-10, home notes are Draw 1, Draw 4,
Draw 8

Fourth Position: A Aeolian
Hom chord - none, Home notes are Draw 6 and Draw 10 (and Draw 3 bent
down 2 semitones)

How do we number the key positions on a harmonica: We count up five
notes in the scale.

First position on a C harp is C.

For second position, count up 5 from first: C-D-E-F-G

Second position on a C harp is G.

For third position, count up another 5 from G: G-A-B-C-D

Third position on a C harp is D

For fourth position, count up 5 from third: D-E-F-G-A

Fourth position on a C harmonica is A.

We can keep on going like this to work out positions for all 12 keys on
a single harmonica (though the technical challenges become greater the
farther away you get from the home key).

Winslow