[Harp-L] Dylan

In a message dated 10/23/2007 3:26:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It  always seemed to me that he became deliberately sloppier and more
perverse as  the years rolled on. I've actually been asked to 'sound like Dylan' on a
 session and politely told the producer (who was pefectly capable) to do it
himself as he would have more success than I, having spent my career trying to
 be able to play the damned thing; to sound like Bob, it's best to just grab
it  and go.

Perhaps it wasn't deliberate -Dylan was the street performer folkie - Woody
Guthrie for the 60's generation - the message within his music was his focus,
not the creating of the music itself. Anything that would detract from the
words  was delegated to the "back seat" of the vehicle. Unschooled is a good
term.  Since most of us on this list are focusing on harmonica and it's sound, we
 probably overshoot where he was coming from. I have a hard time duplicating
Dylan. My muscle memory has been programmed to create a fuller sound on the
harmonica, as my creativity lies there and not in creating word pictures.
Another problem is that when I try to sound like Dylan, a personal residue of
attitude creeps into my attempt as I don't "love" this style.

Rumor has it that Dylan could play pretty good amplified blues harp  when he
wanted to - showing up and jamming with other musicians over the years.

The Iceman