[Harp-L] Re: Get a career!

Maybe all of the musicians that the young lady had known previously are all struggling
with careers, and trying to sandwich in some gigs on the side. So it is not so far-fetched
to assume (generously, I admit) that she didn't consider gigging with a local band to be
a "career." Most of the musicians I know have a "day job" and only get to play when an
opportunity arises. And lest you think that they are mere "amateurs" without the chops to
"make it", I can assure you that they are every bit as good as many of the "professionals"
who are full time "professional" musicians.

No offense and nothing but admiration for all of you full time musicians who give those
of us with "careers" such a wonderful place to escape to, outside of our jobs. We may not
have the courage to follow your example, but then, a lot of people have to work at some
job earning money so that YOU can be paid to play. If we all played music as a career (or
followed the muse without regard for those mundane things that are so often despised
by "artists"), who would be paying to hear all of us play?! Somehow, being a "starving
artist" just doesn't seem to be as wonderful in real life as it is made out to be in fiction.

I personally find it strange that anyone would have contempt for the people who pay to
keep them doing what they love to do. I'd feel grateful - but then, I'm no "artist" so I guess
I can't possibly understand that mindset.

Hopefully, food for thought.
Crazy ('bout harp!) Bob