[Harp-L] Jason, New Blood, Peloquin...Mui del Funco!

Hey all,
 Drove up the canyon to the Little Bear Saloon in Evergreen, CO., last  night
to hear Ricci & Co.
I was hugely pleased and surprised to see Michael Peloquin joining the  boys.
The Little Bear is a 160-year old saloon about 45 minutes into the  mountains
west of Denver. All wood/heavy timbers, heavy plank stairway to the  2nd
level, so old there's a smooth groove that actually guides your feet on  the way
down the stairs. The place is like a 75-year old Martin guitar  that's soaked
up and resonated with so much music over the years, it  almost has its own
voice by now. And probably the best sound system  and sound guy in the region.
Perfect setting to hear a really  exceptional harp player and band.
 Michael's in town as a teacher for the Rockers in the Rockies  get-together
this weekend, and adds an extra measure of harp/sax funk and  sass to a band
that already pumps it out in huge measure.
Jason, Shawn and Michael standing together, trading funky fours...what a
treat.
Small turnout, on account of it being a Wednesday night mountain gig, but a
loyal contingent of harpers and hangers-on showed and stayed all night, making
 for an intimate and enthusiastic night of reveling in the New Blood's
amazing,  amazing show.
 I always say it, (because its always true), this band is consistently  twice
as good as the last time, every time. Highlights were the title  cut of the
new CD, Sun Ra gem "Rocket Number Nine," and of course Jason's  new
close-cropped bleached blonde "do", a sort of Billy Idol/Eminem LoveChild  look. Almost
didn't recognize him at first, but for the consistent creative  energy the guy
exudes.
I don't believe there's any musician anywhere that can touch or maintain  the
musicianship of any one of these guys on their respective  instruments. For a
"crowd" of maybe 25 or 30 listeners, they kicked it  up and kept it there all
night long, as always, with the professionalism,  artistry and consistency
they've become known for. "Dodecahedron" with Michael  blowing on it, has a new
life. "Lovin' Eyes", just a beautiful thing.
When I hear Jason (and again, same with Shawn, Ron and Todd) play these
days, I'm not hearing a guy playing a harp, the distance and separation between
one and the other just isn't there.

Last spring's Rockers in the Rockies was a giant leap toward that
sensibility for me. No affiliation other than great admiration and gratefulness  to
Jason and all the Rockers teachers and participants. Blatant promotion here:  If
you can get to a Rockers seminar, just Do It. Beyond the scales,  modes and
positions, way past the theory and gear, is that "place" you  find when you keep
on going.  And that's the aim of this generous offering  to the harp
community. I'm still working every day on the stuff I learned at the  Spring Rockers
get-together, there was/is just so much to chew on. But my goal  is always to be
able to momentarily forget, (or at least have the  confidence, courage and
faith in the fruits of my labors to  let go of), all that "thinking"; to play
not only the instrument, but  the music through the instrument. The way I heard
it done again  last night. What a treat.

Jeff Gathercole
Denver CO.