[Harp-L] Re: Small amps and gigs

I have been using a Kalamazoo Model 1 for the past 3 years with a 7
piece band that includes Horns (trumpet and sax). I typically run the
volume at 4 or 5 on the amp and that is plenty loud as I run it through
the PA and a little through my monitor with my vocals. If it were not
for the sound man needing control over my volume I could crank it a
little louder and not mike it as I have done before.
I also use to use a Bassman RI but that is way too loud for any small or
medium size room and we always mike the amp at any larger venues so it
is overkill anyway.
I do agree about the other musicians control over volume. It is very
easy to get carried away with volume when the groove is just right and
everything is clickin'. It's an ongoing battle.
We are presently experimenting with in ear monitors. My personal
opinion...these things are fantastic! I would probably not use them
without a sound man but you can hear every little nuance of vocals and
harp extremely well and not go through the battle of the volume controls
throughout the night.