Re: [Harp-L] Small amps and gigs

I've used a 5 watt amp for every gig for just about a decade now. I rarely mic the amp although my guitar player has complained I'm not loud enough in larger venues. We do play with drums but the bass is usually an acoustic through an amplifier. A lot of the time we have a second guitar player with us I still use the same 5 watt. I have a very nice 1960 Fender Concert the last time I actually gigged with it was New Year's eve 2000 and I only used it one set. When I do need to be louder I've just been using 2 5 watt amps. I can hurt people with 2 amps. It's really really loud. I don't find that I only have access to one tone or sound. I don't play especially distorted. The fun thing about smaller amps is they get a tone at about 3 on the volume and then they'll get a little bit louder and after that it's just dialing in the crunch or distortion you want. They don't really get any louder. My speaker is a single 8" which can be trouble in a wide room. No dispersion. That's mainly what the 2nd amp is for, a wider spread for the sound. A lot of the time the 2nd guitar player only uses her tiny Danelectro so it's a theme. Small amps. A key is a sensitive drummer and a bass player who plays at reasonable volumes. The acoustic bass is good for that because it feeds back so easily if it's turned up.