Re: [Harp-L] keepin' it simple

Great comments from the list!

I took a similar approach to Monsterharp when teaching
my lone student a couple of years ago.  His tastes in
music seem to be pretty broad and he stumbled upon
Blues Traveler.

So anyways, after several long lectures about how
playing fast and with a lot of notes ISN'T always the
best approach, I finally started to break some fast
playing down for him last night.

To piggyback on the post, in order to play fast with
some class, one must be able to play slow first!  I
used a similar approach there but with scale patterns
(not really breathing patterns) in the same way Clint
Hoover showed me some hip riffs. Playing fast to me,
is often like playing slow...however instead of
playing the space between the slow and more deliberate
phrases, you add a lot of ornamentation.  Then the key
is to not just run scales or always play fast.  Excuse
the off-topic rambling.

Mike