[Harp-L] keepin' it simple

  I have been playing in recent weeks with a guy who had previously been doing a solo acoustic act, mostly country and country rock styled music, with an occasional original song thrown in.
We played for a benefit about three weeks ago and rehearsed to get about an hour's worth of material, and have played three jobs together.
To get to my point: We played at a little gathering last Friday night, just sort of a jam session among friends, with us doing our thing along the way. When we came to one of the original songs, which we both like and have been trying to smooth it out, I kept things really simple.
The song is mostly in C and Eminor chords, with an occasional F and G on a turnaround. We played acoustic into the the PA and I just used four notes for the entire song. Mostly 2 draw and 3 draw, sometimes with a 4 blow or a 2 draw-1draw lick.
When the song ended, I thought to myself, "that went really good." The singer (guy who wrote it) turned to me and punched me on the shoulder and gave me a big grin. "Man." was all he said. Those are the times that I savor. They don't happen often for me, but it sure is a good feeling.
:)  Had to pass it along.
Steve Webb
still a fool for the harp in Minnesota