[Harp-L] george carlin on white blues

I thought he was hilarious ! besides, even white harmonica players need to be able to laugh at themselves every so often. It keeps you honest. And , on a more serious note (almost every good  joke carrys with it agrain of truth), honesty is what it`s all about. Many white blues artists try to emulate someone else`s art, try to be more "authentic" by copying black lyrics, accents themes and songs. It becomes just a facsimilie of blues, a re-creation (although often out of genuine respect) rather then a soul-baring art.
  This is one  of the (many) reasons why the late Paul deLay was such a great blues artist in my opinion. His Blues was never white or black. It was unaffected and unpretentious, always honest and never an attempt to imitate anybody. He always steered clear of the blues cliche`s, in his singing, his songwriting and his harmonica playing. The  first time I heared him play it was a huge revelation to me, as well as an influence and an inspiration.
  (Although I must admit that my first exposure to the blues, which made me instantly a blues fan, was seeing the first "blues brothers" film at age 12, so I do owe Belushi & Ackroyd a big thank you)

Dov Hammer
www.dovhammer.com
www.myspace.com/dovhammer

 Check out  the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.