[Harp-L] Blues Brothers - was George Carlin

I'm sure that the subtle jab was also at Jim Belushi.

But I gotta defend the Blues Brothers....at least the film.  First of all,
Ackroyd and (particularly) Belushi were a fun act. They made for a good
party band doing decent versions of great songs. And I doubt anyone's
knocking the talent of the backing band.

But the film works on so many levels. Sure there's the comedy, explosions,
and car chases.  But under all of that is a deep reverence for the roots of
Blues, and a very gritty perspective at times - at least the DVD version,
which takes a lot more time looking at the blue collar / working poor
aspects. From the silent opening shots of the steel mills before the camera
takes us to Joliet, to the focus on the Brothers as being orphans taught the
blues by gaslight in the boiler room by Cab Calloway's character, to the
extended street scenes by the diner and Ray's Music Exchange.....even though
the movie was successful for the cheap laughs, if you watch the "uncut"
version, you get a sense that there is more at the heart of the film.

This, of course, has nothing to do with the sequel, or the abberration that
has become the Blues Brothers "industry".......or the actors still
associated with it......

 - Blake