Re: [Harp-L] LW's Influence - sharing info w/the list

Walter certainly had an original mind, but it's a mistake to think that
his music sprang full-blown from his own genius without influence. For a start, Walter didn't invent the blues form.

Well, nobody is uninfluenced. Even Robert Johnson can be heard in everyone that came before him.

To take a more detailed example, on "I'm Just Your Fool," you can hear Sonny Boy Williamson I (John Lee Williamson) all over the place, and especially in the way Walter uses his hands to shape the tone. Similarly, you can hear the influence of jump band sax players like Illinois Jacquet in some of Walter's instrumentals when he alternates between the tonic note on the draw 2 reed and the same note on the blow 3 reed, producing the same effect that tenor sax players create through the use of alternate fingerings.

Walter's first records made in 1947 when he was 17 sound like he was a Sonny Boy I clone, but yet went way beyond what Sonny Boy did.

Standing on the shoulders of giants doesn't make Walter less of a genius. He learned what his contemporaries had to teach him, and then he went farther. That's genius.

Sure, I agree with all that, but the man could put two notes together that can send chills up your spine. I don't hear musicians doing that these days, and haven't heard another harp player do that.