[Harp-L] LW influences and random thoughts

I think that there's a big difference between being influenced by horn players and copying their licks. One of our frequent contributors has shared that he has been influenced by Louis Armstrong but I wouldn't expect to be able to pick out Armstrong's trumpet licks at his gigs.

I believe that we're all influenced by the music [or maybe even the sounds] in our environment. It seems to me that Little Walter lived at a time and in a place where horns and their players were very influential. The scene wasn't being driven exclusively by guitars and synthesizers.

On the topic of influences I think that it is interesting to think how different the soundscape is today compared to the '40's and '50's. Today we are bombarded with music and other sounds and noises: radio, tv, video games, muzak and all kinds of environmental noises plus the music that we choose to listen to via CD, online, XM and other satellite radio. Music used to be much more regional in nature where today we're living in a global soundscape. Obviously, Chicago was a good place to be listening to music in the '40's and '50's. That said... Walter was a genius of musical expression. I feel certain that he would have come up with great ideas no matter what was available to influence him.

I've recently read some articles about hearing loss among baby boomers. These articles always point out that this generation has experienced all kinds of noises that previous generations didn't hear every day: electric toothbrushes, hair dryers, blenders, AMPLIFIED  music and speech, jet plane engines, etc. It's hard for me to believe that all of these environmental sounds haven't had an impact on music, too.
All the best,
Jay

The St.Vincent email system added the following official information to this message.
------------------------------------------------------------NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY [STV-NOTIFY-041405]
The information in this email, including attachments, may be confidential and/or privileged and may contain confidential health information. This email is intended to be reviewed only by the individual or organization named as addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify St.Vincent Health immediately - by return message to the sender or to infosec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of St.Vincent Health. Confidential health information is protected by state and federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996 and related regulations.