RE: [Harp-L] Never Call Out Stevie Wonder at a Blues Jam

Dear Bill and List,

  It is my belief that, even if it's just a jam,

  IF THERE'S AN AUDIENCE, IT'S ALWYAS A PERFORMANCE.

  Blues jams are a great way to learn, and yes, there will always be train wrecks so there's no need for folks to get pissed. One has to take risks and blow it sometimes.  It sounds like Jonathan learned a great deal from doing Stevie.  I am with you on that point.

  Back to the new point I want to add to the thread:  It's always a performance!

  My wish/hope is that more jammers realize earlier that they can act like pro's long before they can play like pros.  I know from earlier conversations that you Bill, have a pro attitude.  Specifically, you practice hard and wait until you feel ready.

  By looking at every jam as a performance one can lay a better foundation for one's future.  We've all heard the legend of Van Halen winning their first record contract by going all out at a nearly empty gig.  This is the attitude I'm talking about.

  Any of you with doubts.  Any newer or younger players who say,  "bah!  jams are just for fun.  it's my right to get up and learn"  or,  "it's just a jam, they're drunk and loving it"  Watch the audience's faces closely when a "pro" is up there.  Why does everybody agree that certain guys/gals have "it"?  It's not just the chops.

  Dan G.

  Bill Hines <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I digress. So yeah, sometimes you have to have those trainwrecks, it's
the only time you learn, really. We have some folks who get pissed when
things go wrong and 'forget' that IT'S JUST A JAM - NOT A PERFORMANCE