Re: [Harp-L] music and perception

"Dave Murray" wrote:
<My wife is a native Thai speaker. She has lived in America longer than she lived in Thailand, but she didn't learn English until she was an <adult. She still has an accent. I started trying to learn Thai as an <adult, could even read it a bit. It is a tonal language. I can not <distinguish some of it's subtleties. I'll screw up a tone for a word, <perhaps changing the meaning from "Dang, come here" to Dang, you're a <dog". A Thai speaker will correct my pronunciation and I'll say, <"That's what I said." It's not, I just can't hear the distinction.

As I understand it, anyone who learns a language after the age of 12 will always have a noticeable and non-native accent. Henry Kissinger speaks English very, very well in terms of grammar and vocabulary, but he's still got a German accent in his speech 60 years or so after arriving in the USA.

Whether that applies to music, I don't know. Are music and speech controlled by the same part of the brain?

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter