[Harp-L] Re: future harmonicas and all that

I wrote:
> > > recorded

Garry replied:
> > > i am.  he's wrong.

I commented:
> > I personally agree with you but "essential" is not
> measurable as is eg.
> > how many recordings you made or sold. For someone, the forty or so
> > Robert Johnson recordings might be the only essential thing
> in music.

Garry answered:
> i came at it a different way.  if your friend was correct,
> that'd imply that the
> blues was finished as an art form in 1960, that not one
> single essential piece
> has been recorded in the 47 years since then.  i think by
> most reasonable
> standards, that's absurd.

I still agree with you, as I said, meaning I disagree with my friend. But I also can see the reasoning behind the point that the blues was invented more than 47 years ago. From a subjective point of view it is arguable that all of the essential stuff was recorded before 1960.

Likewise one could say that nothing essential was recorded before 2007. That would also be a matter of taste but it would be pretty difficult to find any reasoning to back that opinion.

Essential harp music has been performed and recorded for more than a hundred years. And so it is today and will be in the years ahead.

Harri