[Harp-L] Re: future harmonicas and all that

> In the blues, harmonica fronted bends are the
> minority, with bands without harmonica being the majority; in Jazz,
> bands without a saxophone are probably in the minority.
>
> I'm not saying that the harmonica is not important in the blues, but
> I really do feel that the importance is overstated and exaggerated--
> my point was that most blues bands don't have a harmonica, but most
> do have guitar, bass and drums.  So to call the harmonica
> "essential"
> to the blues seems like a significant overstatement.

 This has a lot to do with what one considers to be a "blues band". The majority of blues-rock bands don't feature harmonica (Tommy Castro, Gary Moore etc). Then there are also "real" blues bands without harmonica (Lil' Ed & The Blues Imperials, Lurrie Bell, Nick Moss & The Flip Tops etc). But look at the current blues scene and the countless bands that feature harmonica (Little Charlie & The Nightcats, Rod Piazza & The Mighty Flyers, Mark Hummel, The Mannish Boys etc). The Fabulous Thunderbirds are on the border of these two genres and feature Kim Wilson, one of the most talented players of today.

As said before, what is "essential" is pretty much a personal preference. I know a blues purist who says that all essential stuff was recorded before 1960. Who's to say he's right or wrong?

Harri