[Harp-L] Re: Superstars in pop/rock music

Joe Leone wrote:
Lou Reed? I'm entitled to an opinion, right? I don't see how he manages to
feed himself.

I never thought much about Lou Reed either way up until a few years ago when
i started getting into drugs a bit and hanging with a lot of drug people.
Then around that time, coincidentally, a friend sent me, out of
the blue, a Lou Reed CD with Waiting For The Man and Heroin on it. I was
pretty much hooked, but then, again by accident, I came across a DVD on Ebay
from the PBS American Masters series, a documentary on Lou Reed called Rock
n Roll Heart. That was it. Next two years nothing sounded like anything if
it wasn't Lou Reed. Not even Dire Straits. No color. No feeling. Pale.  I
probably watched that DVD a couple hundred times.

"She wants me to hit her with a stick
But all I got's a guitar pick"

"When I see you come
Baby I just wanna run
Far away"

Some subtle hardly noticable chord changes in a studio version of Rock n
Roll that used to make me do summersaults. I can't even hear them anymore.

An amazing jazz thing on the DVD with the coolest drums and sax, Lou doing a
cigarette romance between lyrics. Middle Class white boy meets mean streets
fascination. Romance. Art.

Before I ever knew I liked Lou Reed my favorite guitar solo was from a live
Sweet Jane version.

One of the hookiest lines living in my head was

"There's nothing happening at all
Not at all"

Lou Reed. The coolest, most relaxed voice I think I know. The raspiest. Has
to be on anyone's raspy top 10. Definitely my top 3, and to be honest, I
would have to pick him.

Electroshock treatment at 17 (Lou)

How can you not like Walk on the Wild Side (other than for the reason you've
heard it too many times)? doo da doo, da doo...
Rhetorically speaking of course.
Some things are just not going to appeal to some people.
I love Lou.

Shockley