Re: [Harp-L] Zen and the art of harmonica playing

All true and excellent advice - the best musical phrasers, whether
improvisers or not, understand how to shape silence.

I should, however, point out, that this is not reserved for
meditative-sounding music making. It can happen even in the most
frenetic-sounding moments.

There is a film clip of Louis Armstrong playing "Dinah" live, I think
in Copenhagen in the 1930s. (It gets played fairly often (i.e. at least
once a year) somewhere on PBS and is included on various "history of
jazz" sorts of video productions.) The tune is taken at a fast clip and
embodies what is often called "hot jazz" of the period. Louis is
grinning and sounding ecstatic. But there's a point where all he does
is play a repeated single note, on the beat. And yet it swings like
hell. You can hear him using silence to make the music.

Winslow