Re: [Harp-L] Zen and the art of harmonica playing

<<<<This is the sound of one note (I played a 2 draw), what is the sound of the space before the next note? Are they the same? Should they be? >>>>

<<The sound of the space is the sound of silence. To understand the sound of silence, one must silence one's mind - a worthy endeavor.

The silence should be considered equal but not the same as the sound of one note. In other words, instead of pausing between notes waiting to play the next one, "play" the silence as if it were a note - with a weight, shape, form, duration, etc. The experience of spaces between notes should flip to the experience of notes between the spaces and back at any given time with equality. When you breathe the music you create in this fashion, it will open the doors of perception to where inspiration dwells.>>

Thanks IceMan. Since it was a mention of "Zen" I was thinking along the line that in the rhythmic flow of notes, silence becomes a sense object as well as a path to a mind object. A bit different from the planting of a "sound of one hand" mind object with a question. Buddhism is about taking control of your mind and awareness of the relationship of things and thoughts. Zen is an offshoot that many of us became interested back in the day.

The application of that is probably used, at least unconsciously, by everyone who plays the harp, with or without them knowing anything about Zen Buddhism. My question is, is there truly Zen applied to playing the harmonica, or is it mystical mumbo jumbo used to create a mind object with a planted thought that "I'm a mystical, enlightened, musician because I'm a Zen dude? Some folks have sold some book with titles of "Zen <something people are interested in>" A few of them actually have something about Zen in them.

I'm not making a statement with the question, the question is serious.

Peace and music,
Dave