Re: [Harp-L] What is the minimum blues band?

Is the bass player really needed?

Little Walter made some of his classic recordings with just drums and
two guitars. A careful examination of early Muddy may reveal some
sessions without a bass player as well.

Bass players can weight things down. This may sound like heresy, but
listen to some of those bass-less Walter recordings. I think there may
may have been a good sonic reason for it.

Of course, you can have a duo of piano and drums. The Doors never used
a bass player live, only on records; they never found one they liked.
Ray Manzarek played bass on his keyboard (or did he use some kind of
pedal bass?)

It's quite conceivable you could have a blues trio of harmonica, drums,
and either guitar or keyboards.

Of course the classic guitar/harmonica duo is also perfectly workable.

Winslow