Re: [Harp-L] re: An alternative view... Melody Makers

Serguei Volkov wrote:
> Melody Makers are the key to mainstream, it's as simple as that.

Mainstream music is dominated by two basic instruments, the guitar
and the keyboard.  The key to these instruments' dominance is
simple -- both are able to play both solo and accompanyment in any
key.  This simple fact led to their rise in popularity in
contemporary music through the 20th century, which in turn resulted
in the proliferation of derived types.  Look at the number of types
of guitars available today compared to 100 years ago.  It's still
the same basic instrument, but capable of an entirely new palette of
sounds.  The same is true of the piano, which has morphed into so
many types of electronic instruments, many capable of emulating
other, more esoteric instruments.

The guitar has been the more dominant of the two because of it's
accessibility and versatility.  It's easier for a novice to pick up
a guitar and make music than to do the same on a piano.  Guitars are
also generally less expensive and more portable than keyboards,
though this has changed somewhat with technology.

Still, no other instrument has approached these two in modern
music.  Even instruments we think of as mainstream -- saxophone,
trumpet, bass, drums -- all are accompanyment or solo instruments in
the context of an ensemble dominated by guitar and/or keyboard.  In
some genres, some solo instruments have been represented better than
others.  In genres where solo instrumental in a prominant feature,
such as jazz or blues, they made be fairly ubiquitous.  But as
Jonathan points out, mainstream, popular music is about voice
performance, and that voice is nearly always accompanied by guitar
or keyboard.

Harmonica will never supplant guitar or keyboard in mainstream
popular music, no matter now you tune it.  It competes too directly
with the voice to be a proper accompaniment.  Harmonica will always
be a novelty, just like the guy playing classical tunes on the
ukulele.

I was thrilled when Dave Matthews included a John Popper solo on his
breakout hit, "What Would You Say".  Guys like Popper can raise the
awareness of harmonica as a solo instrument in popular music, which
will lead to more kids like LD Miller taking it up, and they might
tick up the presence of harmonica by a fraction of a percentage
point.  Personally, I don't want to hear harmonica on the next
Britney Spears tune.

FWIW, I do play Melody Makers much of the time, and Paddy Richter
most of the rest.  But I don't play pop.

-tim