[Harp-L] Re: Lynwood Slim

"jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

>>I'm curious how he got the name "Lynwood".   I
>suppose there are more than a few towns called
>Lynwood, but in Southern California Lynwood is
>well known as a South-Central low middle class
>black/hispanic neighborhood adjunct to Compton
>and Watts.   Weird Al Yankovic was one of the
few
>white boys to actually grow up in Lynwood so he
>has the right to call his latest album is
>"Straight Outta Lynwood".    But why is a white
>Minnesotan named "Lynwood Slim"?<<

    T'wasn't always so ... when I grew up in Bell
(nearby) in the 1950s, Lynwood was a whitebread
suburb. I graduated in 1957 from Lynwood
Academy,a private, Seventh-day Adventist high
school. The SDAers used to have their annual Camp
Meeting on the grounds of the school. It no
longer exists.
    My old hometown of Bell is now something like
92% Latino ... when I was growing up it was full
of rednecks, Italians and Irish.
    Nothing is permanent but change ... not that
this answers your question ... ;^)

Bob Loomis
Concord CA

____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.