[Harp-L] An alternative view on the future of the harmonica

The bagpipe has survived and even flourished for thousands of years in
dozens of countries without "widespread popularity and recognition". In
most types of the instrument, there are only nine notes.

Harmonica is certainly represented in popular music. But it will never
dominate it the way guitar has for last fifty years. Harmonica is also
represented in many other musical styles. Blues is where it's most
central to the music. Interestingly, that's also where players figured
out how to supply missing notes on he diatonic version of the
instrument, making a major scale (and its pentatonic reduction)
available in all three octaves and making the major pentatonic easily
playable in three keys throughout the range of the instrument. It's
also where players managed to utilize it in a manner that does not
require a pure major scale.

Winslow

Please allow me to elaborate. I would like make a distinction between that there have been incredible technical advancements on the instruments that are not reflected in either popular music and/or success of the musicians themselves. We have seen some incredible technical progressions between Howard Levy to Robert Bonfiglio to Rob Paparozzi to Winslow. From blues to jazz standards,  to French Canadian (thank you Winslow)  Brazilian to commissioned works like the Villa Lobos (Did I forget something sorry)  I see a gap between the popular music that is getting airplay and the capabilities of the players. In other words, what we are hearing
in the mass media (remember Taylor Hicks) is not a reflection of what many player can or are playing.
Even myself a mediocre  player at best, I have been able to work  pieces like :"All Blues" and "Autumn Leaves" in the blues mix. It works.
Thanks to all here.

E-mail message checked by PC Tools Spyware Doctor (5.0.0.186)
Database version: 5.07380
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/