To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Range

Walter Joyce wrote:
I just completed buying a full set of diatonic harmonicas of all
twelve keys in both registers available, thanks to the recent
efforts by Seydel. so from low Ab through low Db I have the Sydel
blues harp, then special 20s from low D through low F#, Golden
Mels for low G through high F# and a special 20 for the high G.

Oh, don't stop yet! Seydel makes a high Ab and a high A! Both the Session and the Favorit models at least.

I'm a little disappointed I can only find sets with all 12 keys
in the Lee Oskar brand.

Lee Oskar also sells a low F and a high G in standard tuning, I believe. These may not be available as part of a set, but should be available separately.

What I like to do now when I play is to grab both harps in the
key I'm playing in and work between the two. I use a lot of
octaves and tongue blocking (although I can't bend using TB yet).
I like the variety of sounds I can get between the two, and will
often use the higher octave harp in second position for soloing.

I do this a lot too. It's nice to have the lower harp for background, vamping, etc., and then the extra clarity to cut through on the solo on the higher harp. I do this a lot when playing the F and G.

-tim