RE: [Harp-L] An alternative view on the future of the harmonica

The discussions surrounding the future of the harmonica,
its popularity and lack thereof have one flaw: they
are confined mostly to blues and jazz, two essentially
"unpopular" genres.

In order to gain widespread popularity and recognition,
the harmonica must tap into popular music. And popular
music is, essentially, 90% major pentatonic.

The problem with the Richter diatonic is that it does
not allow to easily rock out on a clear, full major
scale across more than 1 octave. Addressing that issue
is, I believe, the key to unlocking the full potential
of the diatonic harmonica as a popular instrument.

Regards,

Sergei Volkov

I've worked hard, by writing about how it can be used and providing examples of music, to popularise the diatonic in the only field of music I'm competent at, namely traditional Irish (and, by association with that, traditional English and Scottish). With the simple Paddy Richter retune you have more than two full octaves from the fifth note of the scale at 2-draw, which isn't too bad at all. It'll probably never be a mainstream instrument in the genre but I believe that it fits nicely and it will be played more and more once the potential is demonstrated to would-be participants, and that should be the aim I feel in whatever genre we're talking about. There are several alternative tunings available these days, such as Lee Oskar Melody Maker and minor tunings, which make it easier (though potentially confusing) to select the right harp for the job. We have to address the issue of players not fully appreciating what the possibilities are of an instrument that, well, may never become a "top priority" in popular music.

Harmonicas still sell well...

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm