[Harp-L] RE: Recommended Scales on chrom?

Nobody can tell you which scales would be the best for you unless we have more information, re: your tastes, etc.
Judging from your email, you like and listen to the Blues, so I would recommend the following:

All major scales
All minor scales, Learn to recognize all three forms of minor: natural, harmonic and dorian.
All mixolydian scales

Then (this is important!)

All pentatonic scales, major and minor.
The "Blues" scale is just a minor pentatonic with an extra note, the flatted 5th.

THEN...

When practicing your Blues scales, instead of playing a C Blues scale over C7, try playing an A Blues scale over the same chord. This is a very common sound in Jazz & R&B, it offers the root, b3, 3, 5, and 6th degrees of the scale, segueing your ear into a more chromatic and less diatonic approach.

Practice these scales in ALL 12 KEYS, up and down the entire instrument. Start at the bottom of the harmonica, playing the lowest scale note available, all the way to the top of the instrument, playing the highest scale note available. If you practice your major scales this way, you will be unwittingly practicing all of your modes and two of the minor scales above. They are all inside the major scale.

Don't forget chords, arpeggiated, up and down the entire instrument. If you do it slowly and patiently every day, the routine will go from about 1 or two hours a day to 10 - 15 minutes, depending on how much you practice.

Always use a metronome. Music is worthless if you don't have good time or rhythmic feel, at least when playing with others.

Don't limit yourself to what you think someone else did. William Clarke had a great sound on the chrom, and towards the end of his life, like many Blues guys, he decided to stretch out a bit. Nonetheless, he had a pretty limited vocabulary, playing a few different scales or copping a Charlie Parker riff. Don't be afraid to practice ALL of the modes, and all of the melodic minor modes as well. Internalize them, then decide which ones are important.
My analogy for Blues guys is the difference between someone like Muddy Waters, who was a phenomenal master of the blues genre, but had a limited vocabulary, vs. someone like Stevie Ray Vaughan. I know they are different sub genres within the blues, but SRV was clearly more diverse and had more vocabulary, i.e., more things to say on his axe, and more ways to say it, than a lot of the other guys, who were masters of feel and nuance.

That comes from practicing different sounds, or modes, or scales. Whatever you want to call it. Stressing different notes than the other guys. Playing lines that aren't clichés. And a bunch of other complex stuff that takes years to develop...

If you have any questions, contact me offline. And practice! It's not going to happen by thinking about it...

Thanks!

Damien Masterson http://www.damienmasterson.com or enter my name in any search engine http://www.myspace.com/damienmastersonmusic http://cdbaby.com/all/damienzm 415 305 7138 dzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones