[Harp-L] Meeting Mark Ford

It was about 8 or 9 years ago I think. The lobby of the hotel where Dave Barrett was giving his Masterclass. There was a piano in the lobby and Charlie Musselwhite's piano player was jamming away informally with a bunch of voyeurs standing around (including myself). Mark comes over with an enormous smile on his face. The smile was galvanized by the piano players verve. Mark said something like "this is great" and opened a box and pulled out a harp and soared away. He was all about the music. Happy -it seemed- no matter what the context if the music was good. And engaged! I knew Mark was probably the guy I would become if I could be anyone. He was (is) simultaneously organic and spontaneous sounding while have swallowed Butterfield whole...... As an aside to Mark per se. That lobby and hotel restaurant was like a blues-harp amusement park. I may be mixing a couple of the years up (I went to 3 of them) but damn: Portnoy eating with Primich. Estrin walking around with his pretty Asian girlfriend. Lee buying me dinner. Sonny Jr. jamming a haunting a gorgeous duo with Lee (once again informally). Rod selling microphones. Paul deLay expressing his excitement at participating. d
http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues