Re: [Harp-L] Amplifying the acoustic sound Live: Mic choice

Walter, in the band I'm in, at most of our gigs, five of us stand around
one Shure KSM27 Microphone for vocals and instruments (bass plugs in)
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_KSM27-SL_content

we use that because we find it gives us the closest thing to the
"kitchen" sound we're after.  that may be a little extreme for what
you're gearing up for but it's a mic that captures us just about as
natural as possible.  I've not been in a lot of studio situations, but
at one studio I was in, there was a nice tube mic (can't recall the
model) that I used acoustically.  real warm sound.  otherwise the SM58
has always been reliable for me in a live or studio situation.

http://www.mcmule.com/A_V_Room/McMuleChurch07.JPG

Jim.

>>> "Walter Joyce" <wtjoyce45@xxxxxxxxxxx> 5/18/2007 8:29 AM >>>
If anyone here feels like sharing the information I am curious about
how
best to capture acoustic style diatonic playing WITHOUT cupping the
microphone both live and in the studio.

What I mean is what microphone would you suggest if you want to be able
stand back a bit from the mic while playing live. I'm thinking about
the
conflict between being able to pick up the subtleties of acoustic hand

shaping playing and ambient noise onstage, as well as feedback issues.

In the studio there would be less issues with ambient noise, especially
if
in an isobooth. But what about recording "live" in the studio with the
band?
I'm looking for microphone suggestions and possible effects of pop
filters.

I am about to go into the studio and lay down some harp work over a
track
and it is only my second recording. I will be working with professional

engineers, but wanted input from players here who have recorded

Thank you in advance to all who feel like contributing.