Re: [Harp-L] Amplifying the acoustic sound Live: Mic choice

Hi Walter,

Sounds like your concerns & needs are pretty much the same as my own.
Of course your mileage may vary, but after 30+ years of experimentation,
on stage I've been very happy with either of two choices:

1) For hear-a-pin-drop-quiet concerts, AKG C535EB.
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/303309.html

2) For noisier gigs (ie bars, clubs, etc) Shure 545SD. http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_545SD-LC_content

For studio work I prefer oid Neumann tube mics, but
lots of good ideas can be derived from reading the following article
on how to mic acoustic harp whilst recording:
http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_taming_shrill/

good luck and happy harpin',
Tom Ball
Santa Babs

PS: Unless the gig is in the middle of a hurricane, I avoid pop filters like the plague.

If anyone here feels like sharing the information I am curious about how best to capture acoustic style diatonic playing WITHOUT cupping the microphone both live and in the studio.

What I mean is what microphone would you suggest if you want to be able to
stand back a bit from the mic while playing live. I'm thinking about the
conflict between being able to pick up the subtleties of acoustic hand
shaping playing and ambient noise onstage, as well as feedback issues.

In the studio there would be less issues with ambient noise, especially if
in an isobooth. But what about recording "live" in the studio with the band?
I'm looking for microphone suggestions and possible effects of pop filters.

I am about to go into the studio and lay down some harp work over a track
and it is only my second recording. I will be working with professional
engineers, but wanted input from players here who have recorded

Thank you in advance to all who feel like contributing.