Re: [Harp-L] I U

            I have always understood that 'U-blocking' referred to
rolling the tongue into a conduit-shape to simultaneously select the
hole and deliver air to it.
            I have never used it, for the simple reason that it doesn't
feel right to me; too unstable and inflexible.
            I do tongue block a lot of the time, and bend notes at the
same time.
            I am less likely to do this while blow-bending the top
octave, and when I am having trouble bending a note there (and maybe
when I'm getting tired) I will sometimes place the tip of my tongue just
below the hole, which (contrary to what I said above) seems to stabilise
the bend.
            This is probably close to the way in which U-blockers use
this technique. I can't imagine ever using it on a draw bend, however.
Ideally, I like my tongue to be well and truly away from the harp,
especially on the blow bends, if I want to exploit all the tonal
possibilities.
            Rolling the tongue, of course, has long been used in school
biology classes to demonstrate hereditary characteristics.
            While there is some controversy about this, there are
certainly a lot of people who cannot do it. The tongue is such a subtle
apparatus that I suspect any U-blocker who can play with some command
probably has something going on that I don't.
            I still would not recommend it as a preferred technique,
but if you can make it work, go for it! Harmonica technique is still a
folk art, and I hope it remains that way.
RD

>>> Michael Rubin <rubinmichael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 17/05/2007 8:40:48 >>>
I u-block around 5 percent of the time, mostly for quick runs on the
high end.  I also use it to help bend on 9 and 10.  I use it to get a
345 blow chord when pulling away from four blow as opposed to a bassier
1234 blow tongue blocked.  I use it as my main chromatic embouchure,
although when I bend on chrome I am generally puckering and of course
octaves and slaps etc are tongue blocked.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com