Re: [Harp-L] what is ODBG ? (was creativity)

I have a smile on my face too, Fernando... but I have  to agree with Tom.
ODBG "Old Dead Black Guys" and "Old Dead Blues Guys"  both sound a bit
..."disrespectful" to me. For some, it's a quick easy way to  refer to a certain group
and I'm sure that many don't intend for it to sound  disrespectful when they
use it, but in IMO it does. Maybe if it was.....  "Older Deceased Blues
Gentlemen" it would sound more  respectful!  Carey Bell's funeral was this weekend. I
would never  refer to him as an Old Dead Black (or Blues) Guy. It just doesn't
seem  right to me. But I'm probably tad more sensitive than your average
blues guy,  'cuz I'm a girl :P

Just one little Brat's opinion...

Chicago Brat
Knowledge is Power
_www.myspace.com/chi_brat_ (http://www.myspace.com/chi_brat)

fernando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  5/13/07, Tom Muck <tmuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But  correct in that it is very offensive, just as you wouldn't refer to
>  your
> family members as "old dead relatives". The thread was about  creativity
> and
> personal expression, and if you reduce human  beings to a trite expression,
> you reduce their value as creative  individuals.
>
> Tom

Well, I guess one can find  anything offensive, as long as too little sense
of humor is present. IMHO,  ODBG is an acronym which characterizes in a very
specific way a certain  group of harmonica players. And I would never find it
offensive, just  imaginative and humorous.
But that's me, who chooses to look at the world  with a smile in my face.
Nobody has the luck or the obligation to be like  me, let alone think like  me
;-)

Cheers,
Fernando