[Harp-L] Carey Bell

The first time I saw Carey Bell was in Scottsdale, Arizona in 1975. The band I was in at the time, Sky King, was opening act for Willie Dixon’s Chicago Blues All Stars and Carey was in the band having replaced Walter Horton. I got to hang out with Carey in the dressing room that night. I remember asking him about how he got a particular sound and he wouldn’t tell me, but offered me a swig of whiskey instead.

The last time I saw Carey Bell was in Brazil in November 1998. We were both on a traveling Blues Review for a few days in the Sao Paulo area. One night Carey wanted to buy a bottle of whiskey, and he needed a translator, so he and I slipped out the back door of the auditorium and walked down the street to a liquor store. I was able to procure for him a bottle of a Brazilian made whiskey called "Old Chicago." Then we went back stage and he gave me a swig... Nice memory...

I’m glad I got a chance to know him and hear him play. I loved his big sound...

I will miss him...

Peter Madcat Ruth
madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.madcatmusic.net