[Harp-L] long slot short slot -- was: Suzuki Firebreath Reed Update

A general question about long slot and short slot reedplates.

I recently mentioned swapping a 7-blow reed from a G harp (apparently long
slot) to a 5-draw on a D-harp (apparently short slot). Both harps were
SP20s. The reed fit perfectly.

So what is the distinction between long and short slot reedplates and why
does it matter?

Thanks,

John