[Harp-L] RE: Real creativity / Rod Piazza

Dear List,

  As an ardent Piazza fan, and someone who considers himself an improvisational player:

  Sometimes you hit on something that "just works" or that sounds really cool to you. It'd be a shame to throw out those gems because you were trying to  be 100% original 100% of the time.   When playing the same songs over and over, certain solo elements migrate from one-off to become part of the tune itself.

  I've studied Rod for about ten years now, and have seen the Mighty Flyers in 10 states. I listen to every note. There are definitely a lot of things Rod does like the CD.  Every time I hear him, though, he throws in new stuff.  You have to really know his solos, but he's always creating up there.  It's Honey's tunes that are just about identical every time.

  Dan G.

rmcgraw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  > I've read that Muddy Waters used to demand of his harps players that
> they reproduce in live performance the already-familiar solos (usually
> Little Walter's) from his records.
---I've read that some of Duke Ellington's sidemen would reproduce the
same solos...and I've also read that Louis Armstrong's famous cadenza from
"West End Blues" was not totally an improvisation. It would seem that
there are a number of approaches to "being in the moment."
WVa Bob