Re: [Harp-L] Blues harp for young kids

Mike Fugazzi <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the past couple of years I have taught my 5th
> graders (I am teacher) some blues harmonica. Recently
> I was asked to do a "workshop" on blues harmonica for
> about 20 kids.
> Any thoughts or advice?

it seems to me that your primary aim is to get the kids
inspired, that this is something really cool.  by 5th grade,
they're familiar with band class and playing "normal" songs.
what they've likely not yet done is to make music, in the
way that you do in a give and take with your guitar player.

so here's an idea.  once you've done the basics, you teach
them a lick.  not just A lick, but THE lick.  the hoochie coochie
man (2d 4b 3d 2d) lick that everybody associates with the blues.
they don't need to get it clean, just a rough approximation: single
notes, chords, doesn't matter.  then you get them to play it along
with your guitar player.  maybe make up some funny lyrics that
a 5th grader would relate to.  you sing a line, they play the lick, etc,
with a nice guitar backing.  now they're making music.

i woke up this morning 2d 4b 3d 2d
i felt really bad 2d 4b 3d 2d
slept through the 'larm clock 2d 4b 3d 2d
my momma was mad 2d 4b 3d 2d

if you want to get fancy, you could toss in an answering lick,
like 4d 5d 4d 5d 6b that either you play or some of them do
(split group in half).  or add some rhythm, or whatever.  the key
is to get them psyched about this, then build on that.

and then, of course, you drill them on overblows.  :-)

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.
do something.