Re: [Harp-L] Real creativity

Here's another factor, as yet unaddressed. One may indeed have some manner
of creative inspiration while playing, yet be yoked together with others of
limited skills, unable or even unwilling to follow another's inspired lead.
I could see having a sudden thought, to move, say, to another, higher key,
unplanned, yet spontaneous. In a jazz setting, many artists are, I would
say, at such a skill level as to be available, ready for such changes. In a
blues setting, the structures are most often fixed, limiting the amount of
spontaneity one may realize if so desired. (Picture the scene from "Back to
the Future, where Michael J. Fox's character gets "inspired", playing some
licks the other players have not yet been exposed to, in a historical
context. They basically stop playing, scratching their heads at this
flourish, one even calling "Chuck Berry" on the phone so that he hears it.)

So, when one has some ideas, it's always a good idea to write it down,
record it somehow, introduce it, during rehearsal, to one's significant
others, rather than merely expecting them to follow your spontaneous lead.
Short of that, hand signals might do the trick. (Some sort of signal for a
key change, for instance.)

Which begs the question,,

Who's in charge? Is a band a true democracy? I say not, in most cases. The
"hand signals", if any, are hardly coming from the drummer, or the bassist.
Most often they're coming from the singer/harp player, or the singer/lead
guitar. So the "spontaneity", in a traditional blues setting is coming
primarily from one source, where in a jazz setting, you see it frequently
coming from whoever's "turn" it is, or something, depending on the group
dynamics.

Anyone here have a site where one can go to find out all the proper hand
signals? I've done some crane operation. I know the hand signals. I'm not
always sure what all those musical ones mean. Hand spinning in air. Hand
suddenly raised. But I have my hunches, developed through careful
observation,,(Laughter)

Good suggestion: Learn to read, and write music, for the sake of the
preservation of some of those inspired musical thoughts. Gather with others
who do the same.

Okay,,that's not gonna work here,,haha

Record your ideas. Hand out copies to the other band members to listen to
"at their leisure", for next rehearsal.

Next best suggestion: Learn to follow the leader.

Third best suggestion: Kiss up to the guy or gal who owns the van.

Best suggestion of all,,

Have fun, enjoy the fact that we live in a part of the world that isn't so
war-torn as to completely prohibit the idea of musical enjoyment.