Re: [Harp-L] re: Why Brendan Why?

-- Jonathan Ross <jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daniel Bernard writes (all quotes are his):

"OK you want to field Suzuki questions?  Why the heck are you
marketing ultra high priced harmonicas with wood combs.  Every other
manufacturer seems to be able to come up with a wood comb harp that
sells for about the same price as their plastic combed harps. "

This is like comparing a Ferrari to a Hyundai: Hyundai is able to
make a two-door sports car for a fraction the price of a Ferrari, why
isn't Ferrari making a two-seat sports car for the same price as
Hyundai (or Honda, etc...)?

"Hohner, Hering, and Seydel let you pick and choose your comb
material."

I couldn't have said this better myself because you're dreaming if you
think you can get Rolls Royce quality while trying to get by paying
the price of a crappy, garbage can quality Yugo!!!!

"Why don't you market some other tunings, like Natural Minor and/or
Melody Makers instead."

Truth be told, the average harp player knows almost next to nothing
about even the most basic of music theory and they will rarely ever
buy them, and the large majority of players that will tend to be more
highly skilled and FAR more theory knowledgeable as a general rule.
"The Japanese love Natural Minors"

"Hohner, and Hering give you a choice of Equal Temperament or Just
Intonation."

"I just don't understand the marketing logic of selling high priced
wood combs as
the first expansion of the Suzuki product line."

They wanted to create a new market, actually: high-end, high-quality
mass produced harmonicas.  That market didn't exist prior to the two
Suzuki models (with the possible exception of the Suzuki Overdrive,
and maybe Hohners MB Deluxe, though that hasn't gotten the same
glowing reviews as the Suzukis).  The wood combs are a nice selling
point, but not significant to the quality level or performance of the
instrument.

As for the supposed high price, well, think of it this way: the new
Suzukis (and the new Seydel, to be fair) are the diatonic harmonica
equivalent of a Steinway: a truly world-class instrument as good as
can be purchased (well--nearly, the best would be a custom harmonica
from people like Richard Sleigh, James Gordon or Pat Missin, but
that's more like a Fazioli than a Steinway).  A new 7-foot Steinway
costs, let's see...OK, the closest I could find (piano companies
don't like to give out their prices) was $54,000 for a 2002 model 7'
Steinway.  That's 720 of the high-end Suzukis.  Not bad.  I won't
even go into what the new organs for Disney Hall in LA or the Verizon
Hall in Philadelphia cost--you're talking tens of thousands of
harmonicas then.  So even at these "high" prices, we're still getting
off cheap.

If you want a comparison to our guitarist friends, a new Martin D-45
(the high-end dreadnaught, sp) lists for over $9,000.  That's 120
harmonicas.  If you never bought new reed-plates or got your
harmonicas fixed, you could still go through ten sets of high-end
harps before it cost as much as a single equivalent quality guitar.

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but I often wonder if
harmonica players don't choose our instrument because we're too cheap
to shell out for a guitar.

JR, this post really tells the truth here, especially this last part!!!

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.bnarbequebob.com