Re: [Harp-L] ART Tube MP for PA

 The emulation of a B3 organ sound can be done pretty well with harp. The main components to get the sound are a rotating speaker (i.e. Leslie or Fender Vibratone) and an octave pedal. Chromatic harps produce a more organ-like sound than diatonic. Personally, I do not have any experience using a digital "leslie" device, but I imagine that a decent result could be attained. The octave pedal should be set to create an octave lower note that plays with the original. Also, playing octaves on the harp can add to the organ sound.

 -----Original Message-----
 From: special20@xxxxxxxxx
 To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
 Sent: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:27 AM
 Subject: Re: [Harp-L] ART Tube MP for PA

  Lots of discussion about the ART tube DI. I am sorry I didn't lend to
 the discussion earlier.
 This is why I bought it.

 I was asked to come up with a B3 sound by my band's frontman. So, I
 asked the list, and got some very sound advice from Scooter to try a
 particular box that he had experience with. I did so, and felt it was
 not a warm enough sound - although, it was pretty damn close. So I
 went out on my own to guitar center, and got to noodling around with
 their gear - a kindly staffer directed me to the POG. I also added the
 Boss Leslie pedal, and scurried off with my new toys to the music lab.
 There I discovered that my stupid 35watt silvertone 1484 into 2x12
 webers sounded only like a Wurlitzer - it was too damn clean and too
 "silent movie sounding".
 I decided to plug the rig (pog, boss leslie pedal) into a small
 Magnatone - and wow, it finally sounded more like a B3. Had the grit
 and stuff that I liked... maybe it's not a B3, but it was more like
 that rock organ sound from Deep Puple. I loved it.

 So my problem then became how to make my 1484 sound like that. I
 consulted more experts - Mr. Moyer suggested the ART V3, and I snapped
 one up.

 It just so happens that it is a DI. But, what I use it for, is to get
 more gain going into my "clean" sounding amp, at lower volumes.
 Listening to an earlier recording of me playing through that amp
 (without the fancy boxes) it was decided that it needed more grit. I
 do like the rock-n-blues sound, and tube saturation (ala the Fender
 Champ) is what I seek. So when I was asked what kind of "thing" could
 be used at a gig, and give the tube soak sound, I recommended that ART
 V3. It's inexpensive, and does a lot for the price. Now, it's possible
 that all I have to bring to a 6 block walk gig - is the harp case
 only. The ART fits nicely inside, warts and all. So I am very happy I
 bought it.

 It's an ancillary part to my rig, and I have used it live about half a
 dozen times - would have been more had I not taken ill recently.
 ...but I'm much better now.

 Anyway, this box was never intentionally suggested to replace, or be a
 poor man's anything by me, but it is what it is, and I would suggest
 any harp player could benefit from.