RE: [Harp-L] ART Tube MP for PA

Hey, John. Saw Anne & Pete last weekend. Getting better and better!

John K.wrote:
> My 2 cents on the Tube MP for PA.  I haven't tried it in awhile
> because I ruled it out for that purpose some time ago -- seemed too
> clean even though it has a tube in there.  I think it warms things
> up, but it is clean -- designed for recording even vocals I think.
> The harp commander works grerat for this as has often been
> discussed.  What I also found to work well for my taste is the Boss
> Fender Bassman (FBM) pedal with a DI behind it (a not-so-poorman's
> HC?  the FBM-1 is $150 new)). I have no experience with the Boss
> Blues Driver pedal (price or sound-wise), so I don't know how it
> compares to the FBM.

When I play acoustically, I'm want to get a nice, well-conditioned (like
John says, "warm"), yet "clean" sound, not an over-driven one, so I use an
ART Tube MP Preamp along with my (original, non-modified) Audix Fireball.
It's a schweeeet combination, methinks. Sounds great and it is virtually
impervious to feedback. I usually play with the Fireball on a stand so I can
use my hand effects, so the anti-feedback attributes of the Fireball are
key. BTW, I have no intention of having my Fireball modified with the
Musselwhite mod. I think it is a near perfect mic for the above stated
purpose. I have several antique bullets and my personal favorite, the Shure
545 stick mic, for various levels of "crunch" when I play amplified.

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, B Boggs <ceudoazul@...> wrote:
>
> Last night I used a Boss Blues Driver pedal into a DI box into PA
> (once again- KUDOS to Peter "Madcat" Ruth for sharing a good tip). A
> Turner bullet with one of Steve Warner's Thunderharp mic elements was
> plugged into the pedal and got a distorted quality that was nice for
> the blues. Chris Dracup played (excellent slide, blues
> guitarist/singer in Albuquerque) played through PA with acoustic
> Martin mic'ed- no guitar amps. Everything I brought to the open mic
> was in a small carry-on size bag. I played with Chris and later with
> two other guitarist/singers and once I adjusted gain on the pedal, it
> sounded decent. Now, I am curous and may check out the ART Tube MP
> mentioned below. Has anyone AB'd the Boss Blues Driver/ DI rig and
> ART Tube MP for playing into a PA?  Not needing a DI box makes a
> blues jam/open mic rig even simpler.  Chris Dracup mentioned the Harp
> Commander and I said the pedal/DI was a "poor man's harp commander."
> I have never heard the Harp Commander.

My feeling is that the ART Tube MP Preamp is a very nice and highly
affordable DI box, well suited for a low-z mic like a good vocal mic or the
Fireball. I wouldn't think of using it for an hi-z mic. There's no reason. I
also wouldn't compare the MP to the Harp Commander other than in the
coincidental fact that the HC can also act as a DI box. The HC has far more
functionality than that.

My 2 cents anyway.

Michelle