Re: [Harp-L] Found a Cheap Tube Amp Alternative

"Jonathan Metts" wrote:
<The ART Tube MP is a vacuum tube microphone preamp
<that can also function as a "direct box". It has some nice features <that I'll probably never use, but the most important things are:
<1. I can plug my Green Bullet into it, then run a line to the PA, and <it sounds like I'm playing through an expensive harp amplifier. <(Breakup, distortion, etc. but without ruining the harp tone.)

I own one of these, and it's certainly a very useful preamp for recording--much better than its price would imply, and great for recording electric guitar and bass direct as well as harp. But I've never had good results with it as an amp substitute. After I read Jonathan's message, I tested my Tube MP with my Astatic JT-30--a pretty common blues mic--into my Peavey KBA-100 keyboard amp, which is essentially a self-contained PA amp. I got a very harsh "barking" sound" on notes that were hit hard, not very usable.

Jonathon, what settings are you using on your Tube MP, and have you made any mods to the device for the harp--for example, replacing the stock 12AX7 tube with something else?

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter