Re: [Harp-L] Death of Live Music...

Will, etc... -

My humble duo's best regular gig is at...of all places...Wild Oats Market.
No, competing with the sound of a juicer, espresso steamer, and cash
registers isn't exactly gritty ambience, but here's the deal:  We play from
6-8 on a friday. We make as much $ as any but our late night bar gigs, and
more than when I play with a full-band arrangement, our friends (mostly in
their 30's with kids) come out, with their kids, and at W.O., anything you
buy there - from sesame udon noodles, to pizza, to beer and wine - may be
consumed in the store.  So our friends pull together a bunch of tables,
spread out the food and booze, and let the kids run around with each other.
Here's arguably the best part - we're HOME by 9 p.m..  This is no ego
stroking gig, I'd much rather serenade beautiful drunk women in a crowded,
smoky late night club, but it works for my family and our friends.

- Blake