Re: [Harp-L] death of live music?

Hey Blake, I know what your  saying there dude. I hope I'm not repeating
something said already, I have about  100 Emails to deal with and haven't seen all
of them about this thread.
    I've been playing out for a long time and I saw a large  decrease in the
crowds when the tough stance on DUI/DWI came into play. About  mid 80's I
guess. It's pretty common knowledge that the police target people the  later it
gets in the evening. I'm by no means condoning drunk driving or saying  that the
police shouldn't do this, I'm just giving my observation.. Blues music  is
still real popular in Erie Pa. where I used to live and some other towns I've
gone through but it seems to me that there are some regions that are blues
friendlier than others. When I have the option I try and play with a band that
does a lot of funky upbeat stuff that people can dance to, and I write some of
my stuff that way. Still it's a lot harder to find gigs than it used to  be.
I hope this trend reverses itself. I quit worrying about money too much  about
95 when I quit doing rock pretty much, and played blues or country. To put
this in perspective, the first gig I ever played was in July of 69 and I got
paid 20 dollars for the night. That's pretty good money for an 11 year old and
for what 20 could get you then. I did a coffee house gig with a guitar player
 friend of mine a couple of years ago and got paid 20 dollars. I didn't do it
for  the money for sure but think about what it takes to put a band together,
all the  practice, moving all that gear........etc etc. It's hard to get old
guys like me  to carry all of that stuff around for nothing though. I do it,
but not as much  as I used to. It's a combination of things IMO.
      Randy

In a message dated 3/30/2007 2:49:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,